Got this survey from a fellow lj friend. I love doing these so I can look back on them.
1. What did you do in 2016 that you’d never done before? Learned to play Call of Cthulhu. I know that's not a big thing, but my life doesn't change much...
2. Did you keep your New Year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year? Not really. I decided to make a more reasonable one this year, namely, to be more forthright about what I want so I don't get mired down in resentment.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth? No.
4. Did anyone close to you die? No, thankfully
5. What countries did you visit? None, but I did get to go to New York
6. What would you like to have in 2017 that you lacked in 2016?
7. What date(s) from 2016 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
March--Aya's third brithday
May--Alex came back from Texas and moved in with me. I was so happy! also, Mina's wonderfully fun Harry Potter party
June--Aki's visit to Asia, Mariko's visit here--so much traveling!
August--getting to visit my friends in Brooklyn for our tenth anniversary
September--Aki got a huge promotion and 23% raise. He was so excited that when we went out to celebrate, he rear-ended someone. Lightly, thankfully, no damage.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year? Hmm. Landscaping, I guess? I did a lot of that. I'm proud of the results.
9. What was your biggest failure? I don't think I failed, though I wish I could have accomplished more.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury? No, though the migraine treatments are tiring.
11. What was the best thing you bought? The PS4! I love that thing!
12. Whose behavior merited celebration? Mina has grown up a lot this year, and become a very socially conscious, compassionate little soul.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed? Some of my face book friends and neighbors showed their true colors during the election. I lost respect for them.
14. Where did most of your money go? Food. Aki eats for six.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about? The trip to NY was the highlight of the year!
16. What song(s) will always remind you of 2016? I can't really think of one, although the girls sing Moana songs nonstop and I can't escape.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you happier or sadder? happier
ii. richer or poorer? richer
18. What do you wish you’d done more of? Writing and publishing
19. What do you wish you’d done less of? Enduring political rants on all sides
20. How did you spend Christmas? With my family, quietly
21. What was your favorite TV program? Better Call Saul and This is Us
22. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year? No
23. What was the best book you read? Ordinary People
24. What was your greatest musical discovery? None really
25. What did you want and get? Vegetable gardens, PS4
26. What did you want and not get? Furniture
27. What was your favorite film of this year? Arrival
28. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you? I was 36, and got a giant truckload of dirt for the garden. I know how to celebrate.
29.How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2016? Same as always, jeans and t-shirt kinda gal.
30. What kept you sane? Aki, Mina, Aya, my parents, friends
32. What political issue stirred you the most? I can't choose one, so let's just say it was a tsunami of terror and disgust.
33. Who did you miss? Heather, Jess, David, Kathy and Randy
34. Who was the best new person you met? Kat, my charming and selfless neighbor, and fellow tea aficionado.
35. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2016: It's okay to take a break from people, and preserve your own sanity and sense of self.